Online Joining – a New Era of Membership Sales
Sign up to receive weekly articles straight to your inbox.
- Sales funnel – inspire them to take action!
If you have chosen to offer a join online option then the chances are you have digital strategy in place. As part of your digital strategy it’s essential you think about the pre-sales experience, AKA, lead generation.- How are prospects going to find you online?
– How are you going to inspire prospects to ‘buy now’?
- Website & Landing Page – your sales tool
So your prospect has found your landing page, awesome. Now you need to ensure the online joining experience does what it needs to; leads to a sale- What does your website look like?
– Does it align with your brand?
– Is it functional and responsive?
– Are the ‘sign-up’ steps simple to follow?
– Does the join online tab feature heavily on your landing page?
- Video – the virtual tour
This is a no-brainer. The prospect wants to see the product. We’ve shifted from in person to online but that doesn’t mean we forget to show the prospect the facilities. Invest in a good quality virtual tour. Allow the prospect to take control of the tour with their cursor so they can view areas of interest to them. They may not want a full 2-minute video when they are keen to see the gym and changing facilities.- Is your video professional looking?
– Is it responsive?
– Does it show your facility at it’s best?
– Is it engaging enough to entice the prospect to take action after viewing?
- Lead Page – Capturing your Leads
Traditionally we would capture leads through the enquiry section of the sales process; however, the enquiry process online has been replaced by visiting your website. Therefore, you need to ensure a lead page is enabled to capture details of prospects who may need a little more time to think about joining.- Ensure your lead page pops-up within a reasonable time frame, say 30 seconds
– Entice the prospect to leave their details by offering a freebie in exchange for their details
– Ensure you have an automated flow set up for your database of leads
- Automation – you need to be seen to be available 24/7
So your prospect has watched a video on Facebook, followed the link to your landing page, watched your virtual tour, followed the join online prompts and has purchased a membership…at 2am! Unless you are a robot there is simply no way you can manually keep up with this type of buyer behaviour. So let the robots do their thing!- Set up an automation process to follow immediately after the sale has completed
– Ensure you have set up abandoned cart in case the buyer didn’t finish their purchase
– Design your emails to look professional, simple text simply won’t cut it, remember, this is their first impression of you as a NEW MEMBER.
- After Sales Care – Take care of your new member
This step is so often by-passed regardless of whether the member has joined online or in person. The first 6 months of membership are crucial to the retention of your new member. So ensure you have an intensive follow-up program in place for the first 6 months.
- Referrals and Welcome Pack – Your new member is a VIP
Once you have the member set up within the centre remember to follow your referral and welcoming process just as you would with in person sales. Systems & processes should be in place to ensure these important bonuses aren’t forgotten because the sale was made online.
- Retention – ensure they become raving fans of your business
Even more essential than the buying experience is the customer experience, AKA, retention. The first 6 months should be structured with an intense follow-up process but don’t forget about the ongoing experience. By 6 months you should be aiming for the member to be independent and confident in your facility, but that doesn’t mean forgotten. Ensure you have a robust retention strategy, not just process, in place to continuously improve your member retention.
Check out Otium Planning Group (Sport & Leisure) as an example of a really great landing page; you get the feel for the quality of their service without even needing to move the cursor.
Check out Lifestyle Fitness joining process to see a simple sign-up flow.
If you are thinking about adding ‘join online’ to your sales process please drop me a line as I’d love to support you through that process.
Until next time….